InstallationDuring the installation on Windows 10 Chrome extension artifacts are copied into the folder for default Chrome account:
C:\Users\<Windows Login>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
Note that if Windows user has several Chrome accounts, each Chrome account has its own set of installed extensions with root located at
C:\Users\<Windows Login>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile<N>
Source filesSource files of Chrome extension are stored in the sub-folder named after the id and the version of the extension:
...\Extensions\<Extension ID>\<Extension Version>\
Local storage of Chrome extensions is stored at the:
...\Local Extension Settings\<Extension ID>\
- local storage is isolated from common Chrome storages: Local, Session or IndexedDB
- local storage can be accessed only from the corresponding Chrome account using Developer Tools
- local storage has levelDb format
State ManagementNavigate to chrome://extensions to manage extensions for the currently logged Chrome user.
- Enable / Disable extension
- Update / Refresh
- Navigate to Background page (Developer mode)
- Review Errors log (Developer mode)
Using Developer mode one can install extensions from not only Chrome Web Store but from a local drive as well using 'Load unpacked'.
Fossa Guard extension consists of 3 main components linked via messaging
- Content script operates on Gmail page in the dedicated iframe, communicates with Gmail via DOM messages, observing DOM events, communicates with Background Script via Chrome messages.
- Settings page provides user UI to manage certificates and keys
- Background script is responsible for cryptography, uses with extension storages and communicates external services via http(s) calls.